Learning how and when to buy a shower rod can do a lot for your self-esteem as you get older. There’s nothing better than finally being out from under the wing of your parent’s and able to purchase items that are more in-line with your personal style preferences. On the flip side of that, as a parent, now that your kids are gone you can decorate the house however you please without regard to sharp edges or other safety hazards.
Small details like a shower rod can help bring a room together and add character to a room. This also makes it important to consider where you’re placing it and whether it will fit in and make the room more aesthetically pleasing or if it will stick out like a sore thumb and make you cringe every time you walk in the room.
This article will give you the details on some of the top shower rods to consider before you make your final decision, along with a buyer’s guide to help you understand what to look for when you go off on your own.
Best Shower Curtain Rods of 2019
|Product||Type||Length||Colors||Materials||Type of installation|
|RoomDividersNow Premium Tension Curtain Rod (Editor's Choice)||Best for tile tension shower curtain||28-50"; 48-80"; 80-120"; 120-150"||Black; Gold; Silver; White||Stainless steel||Tool-free installation|
|ALLZONE Tension Shower Window Curtain Rod||Tension shower curtain rod||28-41"; 43-83"; 83-122"||White||Steel||Tool-free installation|
|InterDesign Cameo Constant Tension Shower Curtain Rod||Tension shower curtain rod||6-42"; 43-75"; 50-87"; 78-108"||Bronze; Matte Black; White||Rust resistant steel and plastic||Tool-free installation|
|Art & Home Chrome Plated Stainless Steel Curved Shower Curtain Rod||Curved shower curtain rod||58.5-61"||Polished Chrome||Stainless steel||Wall mount|
|Moen Adjustable Curved Shower Rod||Curved shower curtain rod||60-72"||Chrome; Brushed Nikel; Old World Bronze||Metal||Wall mount|
|Zenna Home NeverRust Aluminum Double Curved Shower Curtain Rod||Double curved shower curtain rod||45-72"||Satin Nickel; Bronze; Heritage Bronze||Rustproof aluminum||Wall mount|
|Ex-Cell Curved Shower Curtain Rod||Curved shower curtain rod||40-72"||Brushed Nickel||Metal||Wall mount|
|Barclay Chrome L Corner Shower Rod||Corner L-shaped shower curtain rod||60x26"||Chrome||Metal||Wall mount|
|Rotator Rod Unique Curved Shower Curtain Rod||Curved rotated shower curtain rod||58.5-60"||Brushed Nickel Caps With Black Or White Accent Balls; Chrome Caps With White Or Black Accent Balls; White Caps With White Accent Balls||Metal||Wall mount|
|AMG and Enchante Accessories Ultra-Twisted Cage Shower Curtain Rod||Tension shower curtain rod||42-72"||Brushed Nickel; Polished Chrome||Metal||Tool-free installation|
1. RoomDividersNow Premium Tension Curtain Rod – Most Versatile Product
This rod is a great addition to any space because it can easily blend into an already decorated room or help set the tone for an empty room. It can help you divide entire rooms, making it a perfect addition to a small apartment that you’re trying to provide privacy for. It’s also great for something like a loft where there’s not much as far as clearly designated spaces.
- You are able to purchase it in a multitude of sizes from 28 inches ranging up to 150 inches, which is just over twelve feet long.
- Choose from black, white, gold, and silver.
- Comes in a variety of sizes and finishes to suit whatever style you need
- Won’t leave any sorts of holes in your walls or destroy anything should you ever have to take it down
- Easily installed in minutes
Versatile in that it can be used for curtains, clothes, dividing spaces, and much more.
- Very plain bar without additional embellishments
- May begin to rust after a period of time
- You may need additional parts if you are installing it over a longer space
1 5/8-inch diameter bar is thicker than many and may cause problems trying to figure out what to hang on the bar.
Depending on the size of your space I think it’s a great option for a starter piece. I also love the versatility this bar offers. It likely wouldn’t work well for larger spaces without some sort of ceiling mount to prevent bowing. It could be great for curtains, but make sure you measure them first to make sure they will fit the bar.
2. ALLZONE Tension Shower Window Curtain Rod – Great for Staying on Track With Your Budget
This is a great rod if you are looking to stick to a budget and want to still update and change up your rooms. You could also use this as a simple shower rod replacement if yours breaks. This one has an additional button feature that locks the bars together and prevents them from falling.
- Lock in pin to provide additional safety
- 28″ up to 122″ capability
- Non-slip feet with easy installation feature
- No tools required
- Reasonably priced compared to other products on the market
- No drilling required
- Only comes in one color
- Lock button has the potential to jam, rendering the product useless. It could also prevent things like shower curtains or regular curtains from sliding across.
- Holds only 20 pounds, which slightly limits its usage ability.
It seems well-advertised and well-made, but many of the features seem to be cheaply done. This would be a good option for a temporary fix or possibly in an area that wouldn’t necessarily have much use, such as adding privacy to a guest room. The NeverRust feature is certainly attractive, but the ability to only purchase in one color is a turn-off.
3. InterDesign Cameo Constant Tension Shower Curtain Rod – Excellent Affordable Option for Tile
This is a large and extendable shower rod that comes in a matte finish. It features an easy to install design that requires no hardware and only a minute or two of your time.
- Stretches from 26″ up to a total of 108″
- Comes in black, bronze, or white color options
- Uses a twisting motion that ends up providing a constant tension so that your rod won’t fall down
- You are able to purchase them in a set of 1 or 2 which makes it easier to coordinate decor.
- Rust and corrosion resistant, which is important when using in the bathroom
- Provided with some color variations to allow you more flexibility in your decorating
- Has a coated, non-slip foot on each end to prevent the rod from slipping and causing damage
- Seems designed to be used mainly for a shower or tub
- May be difficult to take down if you need to change the curtain, end up changing your decor, or just need the area switched up
Overall I don’t think it’s a terrible product.
It is one of the more affordable options on the list, so it may be a good option for those on a budget or who aren’t entirely sure of the direction they want their decor to go. It seems like a fairly basic rod that could be useful in a variety of situations.
4. Art & Home Chrome Plated Stainless Steel Curved Shower Curtain Rod – Overall Great Product
This curved rod offers you a lot more space in your shower or tub. It is a stainless steel bar that has been chrome plated to provide you with a modern touch to your bathroom.
- This fits most standard-sized showers, measuring 58.5″ to 61″ (provided you are installing between parallel walls and not at an angle)
- Weighs in at just over 2 pounds
- Has the option for professional installation
- Provides additional room in the shower to prevent the inevitable tangle with the shower curtain
Comprised of a single bar, meaning no rings or curtains getting stuck in the middle of two connected bars.
- Can be used almost exclusively for the bathroom, providing no versatility or flexibility
- Only comes in a stainless steel/chrome finish
- Comes with brackets that are screwed into the wall
Installation can take up to an hour or more to install it properly.
This seems like a fair product for the price, although I would worry about being able to adjust the bar and having to put screws into the wall in order to mount it. This is probably better suited for a home that you own rather than a rental or college dorm room. The added elbow room during a shower is an excellent selling point.
5. Moen Adjustable Curved Shower Rod – Nice Selection of Color Options
This is a great curved shower rod that is sure to please with its range of color and the option for professional installation. You are able to install it in many standard showers and tubs.
- Comes in three color options that include brushed nickel, chrome, and old world bronze
- Fits on tubs that measure from 5 to 6 feet
- Additional room in the shower, which is hard to say no to
- Rust and corrosion resistance
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Features a high weight capacity, giving it the power to hold heavier shower curtains
The colors provide a fairly modern feel, but they also have the potential to fit with most decors.
- It would be nice to see a wider variety in color/style options
- Requires mounting hardware, and ensures a few holes are made in the wall
- Item is listed as weighing just over 20 pounds, which may make installation by yourself difficult
Comes as two pieces with an additional piece to bind them together. Eliminates a smoothly sliding shower curtain.
I feel like this would be a good addition to many bathrooms. The curve provides a nice expansion to a small or even a moderately sized shower, and the nickel finish looks great. The only thing that worries me is getting through the installation phase.
6. Zenna Home NeverRust Aluminum Double Curved Shower Curtain Rod – Nice Double Bar for Added Storage
This product is an aluminum curved shower rod.
It features a NeverRust feature, which is ideal for bathrooms.
- Comes in your choice of three colors/styles, that include chrome, satin nickel, and heritage bronze
- Fits all standard tubs with a range of 45 to 72 inches
- Offers professional installation
- Has a double curve, which not only gives the added elbow room but can potentially provide more storage space as well.
- Gives a lifetime no-rust guarantee
- Made from aluminum, which is more lightweight than other materials
- Includes self-tapping screws and drywall anchors to make sure you are able to mount appropriately
It can also be used to separate liners and curtains or to hang towels on.
- Requires mounting to the wall, making it not suitable for some environments, like nursing facilities, dorms, and rented living spaces
The additional spacebar plus anything extra you hang has the potential to make the bar sag or break the hardware.
I think this would be a nice addition to a bathroom. The additional space would be appreciated with the bonus of storage space. I think the colors could easily blend into any scheme, and there’s a nice mix of modern and vintage-style. The only potential issue I see would be the installation of the bar.
7. Ex-Cell Curved Shower Curtain Rod – Easy Installation
This product has a brushed nickel finish and features the option of professional installation. You are able to add up to a foot of space in your shower or tub just by switching to a bar like this.
- Adjustable for spaces from 40 to 72 inches
- Professional installation is offered if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself
- A fairly lightweight bar that weighs in at just under three pounds
- Easily cleaned with a damp cloth
- Easily installed and adjusted, but also comes with the option of a professional installation
Once the hardware is mounted, you simply snap the bar into place, making it very easy to manage.
- Requires mounting to the wall with hardware, leaving damage done to the wall and making it not a great option for some environments
- Is not rust-proof, which should be standard in bathroom fixtures
There is only one color/style option to choose from, making it difficult to incorporate it into many decoration schemes.
Overall, it is probably a great bar for the low price you end up paying. I don’t think I would feel comfortable having something that is able to rust installed in my bathroom, but there are products available to manage this. I don’t like that there is only one color available, but the easy installation compared to other products helps to make up for that.
8. Barclay Chrome L Corner Shower Rod – Perfect for Your Corner Shower
If you were looking for something to fit a corner shower, then this is the perfect product for you. It features an L-shaped design that includes a ceiling anchor at the turn to ensure the bar is secure and won’t sage.
- 60″ by 26″
- Available in a polished chrome finish
- Bar weighs in at about 4.5 pounds
- Has the option of professional installation
- The bar is only 1″ so it will fit most types of curtains
- 36″ ceiling support that is able to be fit to your liking
- Inset screws to hold the pieces together, meaning your curtain rings won’t catch.
- Doesn’t appear that it fits more than one size of shower/tub, which may mean you can’t use it in your setup
- Requires that it be mounted using two wall flange mounts
- The ceiling and tubing bars are able to be cut to fit your shower. You may not personally see this as a problem, but I would feel very uncomfortable and would likely look for a different product
This seems like a sturdy product that is intended for use in showers where there may already be limited options. This makes it important for the ones available to be top-notch. I think this product delivers in durability and has an okay style, although additional color options would be appreciated.
9. Rotator Rod Unique Curved Shower Curtain Rod – Most Unique Product
The fact that this product is considered unique is not exaggeration. It is able to flip from a curved shower extender bar to one that curves inward to provide you with a few inches of additional bathroom space.
- 58 1/2 to 60 inches
- Professional installation is available
- Bar weighs just over three pounds
- Includes a one year warranty
Promotes an increase of 33% in your shower space and 75 cubic feet in your bathroom when the bar is flipped.
- Can easily flip bar in or out depending on what you need at that current time
- Sturdy enough that it can support hanging wet clothes to dry in the tub
- Lifetime no rust guarantee
- Designed as a “no-bump” rod so curtains don’t get caught in the middle
- Able to be installed with a copper composite disc so that you don’t have to damage walls in order to mount it.
- Only available in one size
- Available in only two very similar colors with two colors of accent balls at the ends
Despite minimal choices on the color, I think this is a great option. It is easy to clean, with great installation options that won’t damage the walls. I also like that it can flip around and provide me with multiple uses out of the same bar. This would be great in smaller bathrooms, like those found in dorms, apartments, or a senior living facility.
10. AMG and Enchante Accessories Ultra-Twisted Cage Shower Curtain Rod – Accents to Impress
The cage design of this bar is sure to lighten up any room’s decor by adding just that little extra touch of detail. It features a premium tension technology that allows it to be installed easily without any mounting or tools.
- Comes in brushed nickel or polished chrome
- Adjusts to fit showers from 42 to 72 inches
- A lightweight bar that weighs in at 2.5 pounds, despite being an all metal bar
- Can be used outside the bathroom to hang curtains
- Durable and built to hold the weight of heavier shower curtains or regular curtains
This is the only bar on the list that offers a more decorative end to the rod.
- The decorative balls at the ends are gorgeous but may make it difficult to use as a shower rod
- If using as a curtain rod, you may need to purchase additional equipment to get it securely hung
Gives off a modern vibe, which may not sit well with every household style.
I would recommend this product if it fits in your design style. It comes off as a little glamorous, but there’s nothing wrong with that. I would be sure that you have the proper equipment to hang it where you’d like after it arrives. Overall, it’s lightweight and easy to install, all while looking great and being priced affordably.
Types of Bars
Straight bars provide a nice, simple touch to a bathroom and are relatively easy to install. They may be great as a first option or a cheaper option. Curved rods will provide you additional room in the shower, but may take up some space in the bathroom, so be cautious if you decide on this type. The rotator bar gives the best of both worlds and provides additional room in the shower and bathroom both.
If you feel handy enough, then there is no reason to opt for an expensive professional install. Many of these bars rely on tension and can be easily put up within a matter of minutes. A bar that requires mounting may take a little additional work and measuring but will end up sturdier and able to hold additional weight (heavier curtains, wet towels or clothes, etc.).
This is a very common thing, especially when you are combining metal in a wet environment like a bathroom. Be sure to check the material your bar is made of and ensure there is a rust protection involved. A plastic bar will likely not need protection, but a bar with any amount metal in it will need something. If there’s not and you simply can’t pass up the purchase, check your local hardware store for options to treat the bar prior to using it.
Just because a bar is listed as a shower bar does not mean that it can’t be hung elsewhere. This is especially true if you’re considering a tension-mounted bar that can be placed and removed in many locations. Try adding them to a pantry for extra storage, using them as a way to divide a room or provide additional privacy, or to mount curtains at a doorway to provide a cozier looking entrance to a room. I especially like the bar listed as 1 on this list because it extends to nearly twelve feet. This is more than enough to cover a standard room. If you use your bar for something like this, you may need to ensure an additional attachment in the middle to prevent unsightly sagging.
Many people want to save themselves additional space or have a unique setup and want to install these bars at an angle. Truthfully, even a curved bar is not usually able to safely accommodate this. Your only option is to place blocks on the wall to make the turn adjustment for you. This will allow your bar to hang straight and parallel, as it was intended. This also helps ensure a more secure and safe mount through whichever method your bar requires.
As you can see, there are many things to take into consideration as you search for the best shower curtain rods. You want to ensure a proper fit for your area, especially if you are purchasing an adjustable bar or one that relies on tension to stay up. Styles like the rotator rod are something that we can likely see more of in the future as their versatility is appealing to a large audience.